Friday, March 9, 2012

How dangerous is it for my blood glucose level to be in the 500's?

I just at some pizza for dinner and haven't taken my insulin all day. I'm suffering from depression and it's hard for me to have the will to take my insulin when necessary as I am a type 1 diabetic and I just found out I have diabetes type 1 10 months ago and I'm 21 years old and devestated. I talked to my doctor about this depression I'm having and they want me to see a couselor. In the mean time, I'm supposed to eat healthy and take the insulin they have specified, but I'm having a hard time dealing with it. So, id my blood glucose levels are in the 500's....what could happen? I just took insulin to bring it down, but I need to know what to do right now.|||just take your insulin and chat with someone who you trust and will do whats best for you until you can get some professional help and dont think that you are alone i have had type 1 for 22 years and some days i dont want to take my insulin either and get very depressed too but blood sugars in the 500's is serious and you should go to the ER if that cant happen watch your blood sugar very close if not for you then do it for your little one|||I can't give you any answers on what to do or what will happen but I wanted to tell you please please take control of your diabetes. I said before my brother is also a type 1 diabetic. He was diagnosed at 11 and he is 35 now and he still does not have control of it. It is so hard to watch someone you love not take care of themself and to not be able to do anything about it. He has almost died quite a few times. He actually lost part of his short term memory from one time he almost died. He has a daughter who already lost her mom and could possibly lose her dad too. Please think of Jackson...he needs his momma. I hope you get some help very soon. You are already taking a step in the right direction talking to your doctor about the depression. Follow through with getting the help you need so that you can be there for your son for a VERY long time. This disease can be controlled and you can overcome it. Please take care.|||very very serious|||I am a new diabetic also, actually I had my pancreas removed last year 9-22-06. before becoming ill I worked as a nurse. You are doing irrevesable damage to your blood vessels and kidneys. When you blood sugar is this high, your body can't use the sugar ( glucose) because of the lack of insulin. You will begin to burn muscle because you can't burn glucose without insulin. This causes a condition called diabetic ketoacidosis and is LIFE THREATENING. People with this problem go into a coma, and will stop breathing if they don't get help. I understand that you are upset that you have a chronic disease, but in the grand scheme of things it really isn't that bad. So you have to check you bs a few times a day. There are so many other diseases that are painful and disfiguring. This disease doesn't have to kill you, but it will if you don't take care of it and yourself. Follow up with the counselor, make sure you do. Talk with your diabetes educator about an insulin pump. I know several people with them, it is considered a mechanical pancreas, and most LOVE theirs. Chin up young one person, this is so doable. I don't know what insulin you took, which most likely a quick acting tnat sholuld bring your blood sugar down. Are you taking a basal insulin such as Lantus, Levamir? I don't understand why you would take the quick acting, and not the basal, maybe you don't either. Hopefully counseling will help you, until then if you con't to have really high blood sugars you should go to the ER if they don't come down after administering insulin, you could have an infection causing the extreme high. If it does come down, I would call my Dr. in the am and let the nurse know how high your blood sugars have been, he/she may want to increase your doseage, either way he/she should know. They may also want you to have some blood checked for ketoacidosis. This is only as bad as you make it|||Hi. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. It really is important that you speak to someone..anyone...about how you are feeling. It is a pretty scary experience and shocking when you are first diagnosed. 500 is way too high. Normal blood sugars are between 80-120. When your sugar gets that high, a lot of immediate things can happen. You could feel very sick, depressed, dizzy, this is the immediate. In the long term, you are doing damage to your body, that cannot be undone. But you can prevent that, by doing what you are supposed to do. Insulin is a pain!!! Shots are a pain!!! But they will save your life. You need to remember that. Diabetes is just a bump to go over..you can do anything you want to do, but first, take control of this disease and don't let it control you. I think you will find you are a stronger person for doing that. Talk to friends and family, tell them how you are feeling, ask them to help you out. You should have checked your keytone levels and called your doctor, immediately. And I am hoping you took your insulin now..it is important to get that blood sugar down. Please take my advise and take care of you..you are the only one that can do that. You can be in control of this disease, and you can live and do everything you want to do...in spite of it. Please take care of yourself...|||What you can do right now is in 2 hours check your blood sugar again and take more insulin.





Are you on a sliding scale? I am and my dr told me to take 16 units of humalog then check my blood sugar 2 hours later and take 5 more. That brings my blood sugar down.





I am type 1 too and I know when I first got it I hated being diabetic and wished there was a cure.





Do you have to count your carbs too? I do.





If so next time count the carbs in the pizza then take the right amount of insulin your dr told you to take for so many carbs.





Like me I have to take 1 unit for every 12 carbs. It used to be more but it then it ididn't.





I was diagnosed with diabetes at 20.





Good luck!|||Well, at 500, you're at some risk for diabetic ketoacidosis, which is a free trip to your local neighborhood ICU (well, probably not free). If your glucose goes that high, the way your body metabolizes sugar will change, it can cause your blood to become acidic and even lead to a coma which can be fatal if not treated, 500 is not a great level for your sugar to stay at.


Now, it's not a sure thing, although I have seen DKA at lower levels, I've seen people with a sugar that high feeling fine as well (which is not to say that terrible long term damage won't occur if your blood sugar stays at that level, because it will, you don't want to go blind, have a heart attack, and get a leg amputated by the time you're 40)


So right this minute, if you're feeling fine and you took your insulin, don't do anything. You did what you need to do. Drink some water, take your blood sugar in an hour or so and make sure it's coming down. But you need to be better about taking your insulin, your disease does not care whether you want to take the insulin or not, it will affect you just the same.


I'm not surprised that you say you're depressed, it's common for young diabetics, it's a big change and a lot to get used to, your entire life is going to be different (it need not prevent you from doing anything, but you're always going to have to think about it and treat it properly). At least you recognize it and are getting the proper treatment, but in the meantime you have to take your insulin, if you don't, you'll end up in the hospital.|||get immediately to the emergency room NOW or you could die|||very dangerous.


by the looks of ur avatar, u have to start growing up and taking care of urself so u can take care of that beautiful baby. u need to go back to ur doc and let him know whats going on. maybe even start seeing a pshychiatrist. u need to get in the right mind soon. goodluck.|||I wish I could give you a big old hug. Diabetes is a boring crappy disease ...I'm 30 years into it, diagnosed at 4. I have to say that the best way to make it small and irrelevant in your life is to have it in under good enough control so you can ignore it most of the time. Taking the insulin is about as necessary as breathing so you really don't want to miss any of the doses ...sorry.





I hated being injected when I was first diagnosed... HATED it. I used to lie in bed crying for hours while mum tried to convince me. I then decided around 7 that I didn't want anyone else hurting me and that I would do my own injections ...many hours of sitting with shaky hand pushing on the syringe unsuccessfully and then hurrah! ...it went in. Try to relax when you're injecting -it goes in easier if you do ...deep breath in and out, go floppy.





I know its really hard having a change this massive in your life but once you adjust and get on with managing it, it will become a small part of who you are instead of defining you.





Getting your blood sugar down will help a lot with your health and happiness. Once the levels become better you'll feel like you're succeeding and you won't feel as frightened. Blood sugars that high will make you unbelievably tired and cranky and wretched. They're also a long term risk for all your organs especially kidneys.





Please consider looking out for yourself 'cause I feel sure the depression will lift eventually and you want your health intact when it does. I think the counseling is a great idea ...you've just had a baby too (I think?) so you're probably feeling a lot of change right now. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Things will get easier ...really they will (c;





Take care %26amp; best wishes


Redleaf|||Hey there, I know it is tough. I am t1 also. I found that being on the pump helps me quite a bit. At 500 you could go DKA and end up in a coma or die. Not good.





Also, without controlling your diabetes you are at a higher risk of complications. For example, my brother is blind from diabetic retinopathy. He has been diabetic for 30 years. It sucks.|||Visit





http://www.healthsinfo.com





to know more about blood sugar levels|||It is extremely dangerous. Normal is 80 to 120..so 500 is extremely, extremely dangerous. While you have diabetes is extremely common it also extremely dangerous.





You need to stop eating the pizza as it's extremely high in carbohydrates and will just jack you glucose level up more and more, and it will work on raising your levels over the course of five hours. You need to talk to a diabetes educator.





You also need to take your insulin as you are suppose to even if you depressed. Every time your blood sugar goes up it does damage to your numerous parts of your body, eyes, organs, etc. If you don't get your blood sugars back down and they continue to climb you risk going into DKA, Diabetic Keytone Acidosis and risk going into a Diabetic coma or even death. With them already in the 500 range you are most likely already in D.K.A.





Even if you just took the insulin you need to get yourself to the hospital right now. At 500 your blood is so thick you heart is having an extremely hard time pumping it. Don't mess around the longer you wait the more damage your doing to you body that can not be fixed.





Get yourself to a hospital, NOW. I'm not trying to be bossy but you need to stop whatever you are doing and go. This is not something to mess around with.





When you go to the ER. Tell them at the front desk your a diabetic and your blood glucose level is in the 500 and that you might be in D.K.A.|||One reading in the 500's is not the big emergency a lot of these answers seem to think. A whole day or two at this level and you will start to become very ill, however.





So, you need to try as best you can to do the right things now.





First, start drinking water. High blood sugar causes dehydration and insulin doesn't work well in a dehydrated environment. So push at least 8 ounces per hour.





Two hours after giving insulin, test again. If it's not down significantly, give another dose. Keep drinking water, testing and dosing every 2 - 3 hours until your blood is normal.





Depression is VERY common in diabetes, as it is in all chronic disease. I'm glad you're trying to get some help with this.





Good luck.|||It's very dangerous especially if it is always up there. What is your hemoglobin A1C running?


I know it's hard to deal with, but man you really need to do what the doctor says. I agree with all the advice given and would say the same.


good luck


stay healthy so you can see that baby grow up

No comments:

Post a Comment