Monday, March 12, 2012

Manager at Mcdonalds, DQ, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Dominoes, Sonic? Which pays better?

Heres the deal. I work in the service industry and have done so full time for about 2 yrs, and part time for the last 5 yrs. I am 27, I was in the military for 8 yrs. I know many are thinking Why the hell are you in the restaurant buisness? Well Im not back home, Im in a small place in texas, I love it here. I love dealing with people, I also love law enforcement. I am a single father who is not TCLEOSE cert., alos law enforcement doesnt pay good at all where Im at. Its mostly retired people in beautifull comunity on the lake with great schools. So I am waiting tables, and doing better (if you broke it down by hour) than most local cops. I do wanna get into management. Nice sit down restaurant managers start about 38 to 42k a year and go up from there. Problem is regardless of my leadership and other life experiences in the military, they all want you to have a 4 yr degree or 3 to 4 yrs restaurant management expierience. So I am thinking of down grading to fast food but only to upgrade my career and better myself, and apply for managemnt, of course I wouldnt take anything less than salaried manger position in fast food place, so which fast food place is best to work for, and what are the average starting salaries for each? Mcdonalds, Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Sonic etc... etc... Also what do you think of me downgrading to fast food but to upgrade my career and start climbing the stepping stones of life? Eventualy once I managed fast food for 3 or 4 yrs I would go back in to nice dining!??



Please keep in mind Im not talking about a shift supervisor/ assistant manager I am talking about an actual manager!Manager at Mcdonalds, DQ, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Dominoes, Sonic? Which pays better?
Ok well I am going to answer the second part of your question first. I am an Army vet with 12 yrs in service. I too am in the food industry. I own a microbrewery with a restaurant in it and i have to tell you that if you were in my area i would be glad to hire you as an assistant manager based on the experience youve listed. I know that you want to be a "manager" and not an asst to one but im fairly certain that even in fast food you wont be getting hired as a manger right out of the gate. All this may sound like a bit of a soup sandwich but youre going to need some light managing experience before you get hired as a general manager.

My suggestion to you is to go around to all of the localy owned restaurants in your area and explain your situation, your needs and you goals to the owners and see if you cant get hired on at least as an asst manager temporarily so that you have a necessary rung on the ladder of your career completed.

One boot in front of the other soldier

Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment